When we were in school, and I am referring to older generations, we had those black chalk boards. Chances are that you remember them. They were pretty good, and they did the job. However, you know how it is. Good is only good enough until something better is available. Here is where dry erase boards come in. When they first came out, I was a little bit too excited. After all, it is just a board, right? But they were new, and the fact that there was not any chalk dust involved made the new models better.
The benefits of using a dry erase board
Personally, I did not use a dry erase board until college. That was the moment when I discovered the real advantages such a board holds. You may not think much of them, but here is why I like them.
- ü No more chalk dust – believe it or not, some people are actually allergic to the chalk dust. And even if you are not, it can still bring discomfort. I remember when that dust used to enter my nose, or worse, my mouth. It gave me a chalky feeling. That is no longer possible with the dry erase board. There is no debris at all. Markers are harmless.
- ü You do not have to wash your hands after using a dry erase board – when you use chalk, you cannot go on around your business after without washing your hands. Otherwise, you get chalk everywhere. On your clothes, on your personal belongings, or on whatever else you touch. Not to mention that chalk dust dries your hands like crazy. So moisturizer is a must after.
- ü It is easier to clean – cleaning a black board was challenging. That sponge was horrible, to say the least. And the chalk still would not come off completely. I remember that we had to use vinegar to clean all the chalk from the board. A vinegar-soaked sponge is not the best thing you can think off, trust me. But a dry erase board comes with a special eraser that cleans up everything. That is if you do not use permanent markers. Worst case scenario is that you use a cleaning spray. However, that spray is used once in a while, not everytime you erase the board.
- ü Remember the sound? – A black chalk board can make some terrible sounds. When the chalk scratches the surface of the board in a certain way, all you want to do is pull your hair out. Remember the Sister Act scene? Something like that.
- ü Some models are magnetic – I like that particular characteristic because I can hang stuff like important documents or memos with a tiny magnet. You cannot do that with a black chalk board.
- ü You can use all kinds of colors – now, you may have the tendency to tell me that you can also use colors on black boards. That is entirely true, you can. But you have to buy colored chalk. Colored markers, on the other hand, are more convenient.
- ü You can use it for video projection – a dry erase board is ideal for video projection because it is white and flat. It is even better than a sheet. You cannot do that with a black board, can you?
- ü It has a better overall look – visually speaking, it is a lot nicer to look at a white board than a black board. Black usually has the effect of closing up spaces, which is horrible for small rooms. But dry erase boards are perfect.
Nobody says that dry erase boards have no disadvantages. All things have. However, in my opinion, there can be nothing so terrible like the black board. Here is what I am talking about.
- ü It is more expensive than a blackboard – the whiteboard itself, the markers, and the spray will exceed the cost of a black board and chalk. However, given the circumstance, I believe it is worth it. And even so, the price is not that high.
- ü Some people find it inconvenient to read from a white board – I think it has something to do with the contrast. But if you use black markers, the issue is no longer there.
Other than that, I cannot see a valid reason not to buy a dry erase board. I find it a lot more convenient than a black board.
What to consider when buying a dry erase board
Before making a purchase, there are a few factors that you need to consider. If you do that, the dry erase board will serve you at the best of its abilities. Here is what I am talking about.
- ü Wall-mounted vs. stand – this depends on how you are going to use the board. If you need it at the office and you sometimes have presentations, then a white board with a stand is the best way to go. However, if you need it in a particular location at all times, like a classroom, or in the study of your house, then a wall-mounted dry erase board is the best choice. Honestly, I think that wall-mounted erase boards are more stable, therefore are better. But then again, it is according to your needs.
- ü Surface – dry erase boards come in various models, and not all of them have the surface constructed of the same material. You can go for steel or aluminum, glass, laminate, melamine (a kind of paper covered in resin,) or porcelain. The difference between those kids of surfaces is that some are susceptible to scratches, like melamine and steel, but some of them are easier to clean. However, laminate, glass, and porcelain are stain-resistant and scratch-resistant, so I would recommend that you go for one of those.
- ü Size – as far as size is concerned, you can find numerous measurements. It depends on what are you going to use the board for. The thing to remember is that you can find from hand-held dry erase boards to very large ones that can cover half a wall.
- ü Accessories – depending on the model, you can find various accessories. Markers and dry board erasers are a must. Cleaning spray is highly recommended to prevent staining. Furthermore, if you choose a magnetic dry erase board, you can also purchase some magnets and use them as you see fit.
All these things are up to you but do not forget about practicality. I know that you may be tempted to go for the cheapest model, but try to think long term.
What are the best dry erase boards?
After looking at a few models, I came up with three excellent products. They are different sizes, and they may differ as far as price in concerned, but they are all high-quality. Here, take a look!
VIZ-PRO Magnetic Dry Erase Board
The VIZ-PRO dry erase board is a popular product because it has an excellent quality-price ratio. This particular model measures 36 by 24 inches, but you can find smaller or larger models. It depends on what you need the board for. However, made sure that you measure the place you are going to put the board before making the order.
This board has a smooth and durable magnetic surface that is easy to clean. However, make sure that you purchase dry erase markers as permanent markers can destroy the board for good. The VIZ-PRO board has a silver finished aluminum frame and ABS plastic corners with screw-fixing spaces. The surface is made of plastic, and it is scratch-resistant. This model comes without any accessories like markers, erasers, or magnets, so you are going to have to buy them separately.
The installation is straightforward. You can do it yourself if you know how to handle a power drill. The package includes the installation kit, and you can mount it vertically or horizontally. With the fixing kits, you will also receive a pen tray that is removable and can be placed on whichever side of the board you like. One of the most common complaints about this model is that it arrives broken or dented at the destination. I feel that I have to address this issue. The VIZ-PRO model is a high-quality dry erase board. It is not the manufacturer’s fault that delivery services do not know how to handle it. So do not blame the board for some people’s lack of attention. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon
Quartet Dry Erase Board
This is a quite small dry erase board, which makes me think that is has been designed for home use. You know, like the ones you put in the kitchen and where you make your shopping list. In fact, this board is perfect for that. It measures 17 by 23 inches. You can put it on the kitchen wall, in the hallway, or even in your child’s room for entertainment. The magnetic properties will also allow you to hang papers that you may not want to forget about.
The Quartet board comes with all the mounting hardware you need, and you barely have to do anything. It is very easy to install, and you can do it both horizontally and vertically. The choice is yours. The black frame finish makes the board look very well no matter where you put it, and the surface can be cleaned easily. In the package, you will also receive a black marker and two magnets.
You have the option of purchasing Quartet dry erase markers. Overall, this is an excellent dry erase board. It will do its job, it is easy to install and clean, and it looks good as well. The surface is durable, so you do not have to worry about stains and scratches. However, I do recommend you buy a cleaning spray. It will prolong the board’s lifespan. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon
U Brands Basics Dry Erase Board
This model is a little bit different from the other two. For starters, it measures 35 by 23 inches, but you can also find it in other sizes, from smaller to larger. However, the big difference between this model and the rest is the surface. If the previous two models had magnetic surfaces, this one does not. Instead, it has a melamine non-magnetic dry erase surface that will last for a very long time. That, of course, if you maintain it properly.
The U Brands board is ideal for light usage. You can use it at home or at the office. Using it in a school or kindergarten may ruin it faster as it is not designed to handle all that ‘traffic.’ The frame is made of aluminum and has a rigid board insulation. You can mount it horizontally or vertically, according to your preference. Installation is straightforward, and all the mounting hardware and instructions are included in the package.
This dry erase board goes with any kind of dry erase markers, but the manufacturer recommends that you use markers of the same brand. It is supposed to provide the ultimate board performance. In fact, I have the same recommendation because manufacturers take into consideration all the characteristics of their boards when they make the markers. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon
I believe that all three products are worth their value. However, my personal favorite is the VIZ-PRO Magnetic Dry Erase Board. It has a magnetic surface, which I often use, it is easy to clean, and it can be installed easily. It has everything you might expect from such a product, which is why I consider it to be one of the best dry erase boards in this price range.
You may be wondering what all this fuss about a simple dry erase board is. I do not take it lightly since it is one of those products that were released to replace an old model. Chalk boards are outdated, and soon enough, dry erase boards will be the standard. Moreover, I have never heard anyone buy a black chalk board for their home. A white board, on the other hand, is becoming a common household item. You can buy one too. One of the suggestions above will make you happy. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Things You Won’t Like About White Dry Erase Board and Things You Will
- Fraud, Deceptions, and Downright Lies About White Erase Board Exposed
- Hearsay, Lies and White Dry Erase Marker
- The 30-Second Trick for Big Dry Erase Board
- The Sole Strategy You Need to Be Using for Whiteboards for Sale
- A Review of Custom Dry Erase Boards
- The Do This, Get That Guide On Cheap Dry Erase Boards
- The Pitfall of Whiteboard Calendar
- What You Need to Do About Custom Whiteboards Starting in the Next 8 Minutes
- Top Large White Board Tips!
- The Secrets of Dry Erase Whiteboard Revealed
- Characteristics of Glass Whiteboard
- The Leaked Secrets to Quartet Dry Erase Board Discovered
- The Debate Over Dry Erase Marker
- The Number One Question You Must Ask for Mini Dry Erase Boards
- Reported Hype on Wipe Board Discovered
- Rolling Whiteboard Can Be Fun for Everyone
- Know What Gurus Think About Dry Erase Calendar
- Reported News on Portable Whiteboard Discovered
- Why Everybody Is Talking About Marker Board
- The Most Ignored Fact Regarding Dry Erase Uncovered
- New Questions About Black Dry Erase Board Answered and Why You Must Read Every Word of This Report
- What Everyone Is Saying About Glass Dry Erase Board Is Wrong and Why
- Why Everybody Is Talking About Small Dry Erase Boards…The Simple Truth Revealed
- Large Whiteboard – an in Depth Anaylsis on What Works and What Doesn’t
- Whiteboard Price: No Longer a Mystery
- Using Magnetic Board
- The Undisputed Truth About Whiteboard Marker That the Experts Don’t Want You to Know
- The Undeniable Truth About Large Dry Erase Board That No One Is Sharing With You
- What You Do Not Know About Dry Erase Markers Might Shock You
- The Basics of Magnetic Dry Erase Board
- New Article Reveals the Low Down on Magnetic Whiteboard and Why You Must Take Action Today
- The Dry Erase Board Game
- The Secrets of Whiteboard Exposed
- The Foolproof Whiteboard Material Strategy